- (v. t.) To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse ones authority.
- (v. t.) To use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse ones powers, ones patience.
- (v. t.) To revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage.
- (v. t.) To dishonor.
- (v. t.) To violate; to ravish.
- (v. t.) To deceive; to impose on.
- (v. t.) Improper treatment or use; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; as, an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil rights, or of privileges or advantages; an abuse of language.
- (v. t.) Physical ill treatment; injury.
- (v. t.) A corrupt practice or custom; offense; crime; fault; as, the abuses in the civil service.
- (v. t.) Vituperative words; coarse, insulting speech; abusive language; virulent condemnation; reviling.
- (v. t.) Violation; rape; as, abuse of a female child.