- (n.) One sent by any constituency to act as its representative in a convention; as, a delegate to a convention for nominating officers, or for forming or altering a constitution.
- (n.) Any one sent and empowered to act for another; one deputed to represent; a chosen deputy; a representative; a commissioner; a vicar.
- (n.) One elected by the people of a territory to represent them in Congress, where he has the right of debating, but not of voting.
- (v. t.) To intrust to the care or management of another; to transfer; to assign; to commit.
- (v. t.) To send as ones representative; to empower as an ambassador; to send with power to transact business; to commission; to depute; to authorize.
- (a.) Sent to act for or represent another; deputed; as, a delegate judge.